What are the benefits of having Total Knee Replacement Surgery?
- The replacement knee is designed only for usual day-to-day activity. You should be able to resume a more normal life. The pain in your knee, walking distance and mobility should have improved. You will not be able to participate in all sports or heavy activities. As well as improved walking you may be able to cycle and swim.
- It is normal after a knee replacement to permanently have a numb patch around the scar over the front of the knee.
- The amount of bend in the knee varies principally depending on how much stiffness there was prior to operation. Most patients can bend their knee from straight to 110º.
- Although possible, it is unlikely that you will be able to kneel on your knee replacement comfortably after the operation as this generally causes discomfort.
- Most patients feel that the knee replacement does not move or feel like a normal knee. Additionally, they occasionally feel a clunk as the knee moves, particularly on stairs.
» Read more about the benefits and risks of total knee replacement surgery.
Total Knee Replacement Surgery, London
Mr. Jig Patel FRCS is an Orthopaedic Surgeon based in Central London and he specialises in total knee replacement surgery.
Please contact us if you would like to discuss the benefits of having total knee replacement surgery and to arrange a consultation at our London knee clinic.